What is SEO-promotion of the site in search engines?
SEO promotion is a timeless topic that deservedly excites the minds of site owners and administrators. Today in our blog about the base and the basics.
What is SEO?
SEO (Search Engine Optimization) is a set of methods and measures designed to increase the significance of a website in the eyes of search engines to increase search traffic. In simple words – it is a certain set of tasks, by performing which your site will have a higher probability to get into the top 10 of search engines, and therefore bring more users.
It is worth bearing in mind that today, for effective SEO promotion of a website is not enough to simply perform a series of tasks: such a simple and magical step-by-step instructions simply do not exist. Rather, it is a complex and integrated work. So, for successful promotion of your website should meet a number of parameters:
- Quality of content. All materials (texts, images, videos, etc.) should be well prepared and fully meet the user’s request.
- The elaborate structure of the site. It should be convenient for the client, the user should be able to quickly find the information he needs.
- Commercial factors. If it is a commercial site, must be present such elements as:
- telephone number
- order form (if available from competitors)
- shopping cart (if available from competitors)
- filter (if available from competitors)
- other elements that help the user to choose the product or service
- Brand recognition and link mass. A simple rule applies here: “the more you are known, the more people talk about you,” and in the eyes of the search engines it sounds like: “the more you know, the more links are placed on you.
- The loading speed of the site. Recently, it has become more and more significant factor due to the growing popularity of mobile devices and mobile Internet. It is important to monitor the optimization of code and scripts for faster loading of the site. Particular attention should be paid to the display on mobile devices.
- Behavioral factors are one of the main ranking factors at the moment. We have already written in detail about what behavioral factors and external behavioral ranking factors are.
In a nutshell – it is an indicator of the quality of the resource in the eyes of search engines. The success of SEO promotion is influenced by many parameters:
- Time spent on the site
- Depth of page views
- Bounce rate
- and so on.
It is important to understand that search engine promotion methods are constantly changing and improving. Therefore, what worked yesterday may not work tomorrow and vice versa. Let’s dive into the main periods of development of search algorithms. This will help to understand the principle of promotion in general.
Inception. Why do we need SEO?
Along with the emergence of search engines in the distant 90’s, many users realized that you need to learn the algorithms of search engines to easily get the traffic and customers on the Internet. At that time came the understanding of why we need SEO and there was such a profession as “SEO-specialist” – these were people who were professionally engaged in SEO-promotion of sites. In this period, it was usually enough to stuff the text with keywords in order to be in high positions. Search results were terrible and did not satisfy either users or search engines.
The era of links
In 1998, the Google search engine introduced the PageRank algorithm, which revolutionized the field of ranking. Following Google, Yandex introduced its TIC algorithm in 1999. Both algorithms were similar and based on link weight. Each page and domain was given its own link weight depending on the number and quality of links that were placed on them and passed the weight on to outgoing links from their domain.
“The linkless era.”
Since 2012, search engines have been fighting hard against link spam. It began with the introduction of Google’s Penguin algorithm in 2012. Then in 2014, Yandex announced that it had completely disabled the influence of linking on the ranking formula, and in 2015 it released the “Minusinsk” filter, which penalized link spam.
Around after 2015, it became clear to optimizers that the rules of the game had changed dramatically. Today, more than 800 factors are declared to be involved in the formula for ranking. The only method today to move into the top 10 is systematic and comprehensive work on the site.
SEO-promotion of sites what is it and what kinds are there?
As we’ve said before, SEO-promotion – a whole set of measures with which you need to work systematically – from work on content to building link mass. But conventionally all the work can be divided into two types:
- internal optimization
- external optimization
Let’s dwell on each type in more detail.
Internal website optimization
This is the entire set of measures that you apply directly to your site, not external resources. Here are some examples of such tasks:
- Creating a semantic core (preliminary stage)
- Development of files robots.txt and sitemap.xml
- Technical error correction
- Works related to on-page optimization – writing text, writing Title and META tags. In the world of SEO it is called “on-page optimization” (optimization “on page”).
- Improving the structure of the site
- Optimization of images, videos
- Work on linking
- Work on commercial factors
- Work on behavioral factors
It should be kept in mind that all of the parameters listed above need to be constantly monitored and corrected. Experienced SEO specialists make checklists for themselves and regularly check sites against them. Otherwise, you may miss an important mistake that will lead to a loss of traffic.
External optimization of the site
External optimization, on the contrary, is a set of measures that you carry out on external resources. As a rule – it is a work with the link mass and brand recognition.
To get a good link mass is relevant:
- Writing and publishing articles on external authoritative resources
- Placement of press releases
- Link exchange with authoritative resources
- Active posting on profile resources
- Working with journalists
- Increase of brand name recognition without reference
SEO optimization techniques
As you know, in any business, along with legal methods, may appear not entirely legal or even prohibited. And SEO is no exception. There are the following methods:
Fully legal method, which works to improve the quality of the site by improving all of the above-mentioned parameters. This is a huge effort, which sometimes requires a lot of knowledge, but the result is worth it.
A set of methods, which, although not directly prohibited by search engines, but still are somewhere “on the verge” of the permitted. The use of such methods can be filtered.
The use of methods that are prohibited by search engine rules. Sooner or later the site falls under the filter or ban. Such methods include, for example, dorwei.
So, we tried to figure out what is SEO-optimization of the site and why it is needed. But still, you probably still have questions “How to start promoting a “young website” (e.g., a landing page) by yourself? Here is a list of steps to start with (we will talk about each of them in detail in the following materials):
- Competitor Analysis. An important step in which you determine the question of whether to make a site on this topic at all.
- Collection of the semantic core. Your future site should fully cover all topics.
- Clusterization of the semantic core and the development of the site structure. Often ignore the clustering at the stage of development of the site, which then leads to a lot of remakes.
- Correction of technical errors, making competent robots.txt, site monitoring.
- Preparation of text based on the semantic core, the selection of high-quality photo and video content.
- Elaboration of commercial factors – it is extremely important to provide the user with the functionality of a quick purchase or connection with you
- Analysis and improvement of user behavior. Elimination of difficulties.